You’ve probably seen my EBags Motherlode Junior backpack review, but what if you’re looking for a travel backpack that’s a little cheaper?
Tocode offered us a free backpack in exchange for an honest review of their Laptop Backpack. Currently, this backpack is $33 on Amazon, so it’s the right fit for a small budget! Here’s one of the stock photos:
The cool thing about this bag is that it’s sleek and professional looking, so it could be used for work, school, travel, or all of the above. I’ve been using it to carry back and forth to my office job, which requires a lot of driving around Southern California and sometimes flying to other states. I do feel like I could easily start using this for travel, and I might use it as a backup to my Ebags Motherlode.
There are definitely more pros than cons, so here they are:
- Decent padding on back and straps. Breathable design so your back doesn’t get sweaty.
- Lots of pockets!
- Sleek looking and blends in.
- Secret back pocket for passports and money.
- Lockable zippers on the 2 bigger compartments.
- Padded laptop and tablet sleeve with laptop strap to keep it secure.
- Low price – under $35 for a backpack is pretty good!
- Headphone and power bank holes to plug in your electronics while you travel – includes an AUX cord and USB extension cord so it will actually reach through the backpack.
- 2 water bottle/umbrella slots on the outside.
- Flap to cover zipper so your stuff doesn’t get wet.
- 1 year warranty for refund or replacement.
Now the ugly parts:
- The top loop to grab the backpack with is awkwardly big and seems flimsy like it will break within 6 months.
- Laptop strap seems a little weak as well.
- I lost a gray power cord inside the bag for a minute, it would be great if the inside was a light blue like the older backpack versions.
- I think the padding on the backpack straps could be a little thicker, it seems like the back padding is better than the strap padding.
- Fits up to a 17″ laptop – I only tried my 15″ Macbook Air and 13″ Dell but these fit fine. The problem is the laptop doesn’t slide entirely into the pocket so if you dropped it the top few inches might not be protected.
- Only the gray color is available.
- Headphone jack port – my iPhone X doesn’t have a headphone jack so for me personally I wouldn’t need to use this.
What’s the Ideal Use of This Backpack?
I mentioned earlier that you could use this for multiple purposes. Having said that, I have and will continue to use this for business travel since it’s sleek and classy looking. This can also be used for school at any level but may be a little adult looking for younger kids.
Amazon Review Summary
I rarely buy anything anymore without reading reviews on Amazon! I combed through way too many reviews and most of the reviewers agreed that this backpack was a good value but some complained that the top loop strap or backpack strap broke after 6 months as I feared.
Overall, this Tocode Laptop Backpack is a sturdy bag at a great value at the current price of $33. Shipping was fast, 2 days on Amazon Prime and the package arrived with no problems. If you decide to buy this backpack, please use the link below to support our blog and check out our other videos on YouTube.