If you want to go apple picking in Southern California, Julian is the perfect place to go! Check out this video guide and be sure to follow the below tips for your trip.
Apple Picking Tips
- Use Yelp to find the perfect apple picking farm near you – not sure where to go? Use Yelp to search for 5-star apple picking farms. We recommend Volcan Valley Apple Farm in Julian.
- Know what you will use the apples for – sure, apples are a tasty snack, but when you buy bagfuls of them (which is how they are sold at apple picking farms), you won’t know what to do with them! We typically use them to make several pies and apple desserts for our friends and family.
- Go early in the day– get to the apple-picking farm before they open or be ready to wait in line!
- Know when apple season is – keep a close eye on the farm’s website to see when the apples are ready for picking. In
SoCalthis is usually sometime in September but it varies based on weather.
- Start picking farthest from the farm entrance – most people will start picking apples as soon as they see them, so head to the back! If you start in the back of the farm they will be less picked over and you will get better apples.
- Take advantage of other farm activities – many farms also offer
hay rides, apple cider tastings, and children’s activities. Check out your farm’s website beforehand to see what they have to offer.
No matter where you decide to go apple picking, be sure to have fun and enjoy the fall season!